Saturday, July 20, 2013
Keeping it simple
This broken handle pitcher was another trash heap find. I was excited to paint it because its size, shape and color made it a good anchor for a still life.
I decided I wanted to have a lot of air around it, rather than trying to fill up the space the way I normally would. It's more about the light than the objects.
I painted this in two passes- hard to do when you're painting lilies, which don't last long. I got everything blocked in, and then painted the lilies in as much detail as I could. I had to do something else the next day, so two days later I got back to it. It was dry to the touch, so I oiled it out (I use stand oil cut 50% with OMS), then repainted just about everything, except for the lilies, to which I just added some brighter, lighter yellow, and a bit of glow in the background.
It's an old-fashioned look, but I like it.