Saturday, July 20, 2013

Keeping it simple

Oil, 20" x 20"
This broken handle pitcher was another trash heap find. I was excited to paint it because its size, shape and color made it a good anchor for a still life.

I decided I wanted to have a lot of air around it, rather than trying to fill up the space the way I normally would. It's more about the light than the objects.

I painted this in two passes- hard to do when you're painting lilies, which don't last long. I got everything blocked in, and then painted the lilies in as much detail as I could. I had to do something else the next day, so two days later I got back to it. It was dry to the touch, so I oiled it out (I use stand oil cut 50% with OMS), then repainted just about everything, except for the lilies, to which I just added some brighter, lighter yellow, and a bit of glow in the background.

It's an old-fashioned look, but I like it.


7 comments:

Portrait Painting By Johanna Spinks said...

love the glow

Karen Werner said...

Really nice, Kathy. Thanks for sharing your process.

Kathy Weber said...

thanks, Johanna and Karen.

AlecM said...

Love the composition - and the beauty of the unexpected found object. Beautiful!

Jerry Stocks said...

Great painting!!! And would you believe I have the same pitcher. I bought it from an antique dealer who was in my home on another occasion, and he wanted to buy it back from me. I will not give it up.

Kathy Weber said...

Jerry, I hope your pitcher has a handle! Don't give it up.

Carol Josefiak said...

Your work is very beautiful. I appreciated the description of the blue and white vase with the lily.