Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Egret- sold

Oil on stretched canvas, 14" x 16"
We went painting in East Greenwich, RI last week where I started this painting. I took photos but really wanted to finish it from life, so we went back yesterday, but the tide was out and I found myself looking at a mudflat. So, I worked on the trees and grass but finished the water from a photo when I got home. Can you see the egret?

This is an interesting spot. It's a new park that used to be a landfill, and now has grass, picnic tables and a walking trail. Because you're on top of a plateau, you have an overview of the marsh and cove, which is a little unusual. It wasn't until I got home that I started to wonder, why would they ever put a landfill on the waterfront? The things we do...

8 comments:

Paul said...

I love the back light on the trees. And, yes, I can see the egret.

Kim Rempel said...

Beautiful job Kathy. And I love how you did the egret as almost a whisper. Just part of the whole scene that day... Great colour.

mike rooney studios said...

hey kathy-
have always loved your landscapes. this ones still got the small painting looseness while being 11x14. sweeeet!
guess its getting warm up there and we'll see more and more of them. goody, goody!
whens your plein air workshop?

Sally Dean said...

I love it- the colors in the water and the suggestion of the egret- you inspire me always!
I actually took a picture of someone in a supermarket with my phone and painted from it- your art sale pieces were so cool!

Kathy Weber said...

Thanks, guys. Mike, it's been so cold up here for the last few days, you wouldn't believe it. And Sally, I've actually taken pictures in the supermarket too, although I haven't yet painted from any of them.

Linda Popple said...

Just beautiful, Kathy! The reflections in the water are lovely and I like that the egret is part of the landscape.

Roxanne Steed said...

Beautiful work here! Funny thing about the 'landfill next to the river, then made into a park' thing...they did that in Old Saybrook, CT, too!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

now that is slammin'. Just the suggestion of the egret but you CAN see it right away!
Brilliant!