Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Key West chickens- sold

Oil on panel, 6" x 6"
We were in Key West for a few days of our trip to Florida. If you've ever been there, you've seen the chickens and roosters everywhere. The story we were told is that cock fighting used to be legal, but when it was banned the birds were let go to roam the streets at will. We were there less than 20 minutes when we saw a chicken crossing the street almost get run over by a tourist on a bicycle. We met someone who complained about hearing roosters crowing in the wee hours, but fortunately we never had to put up with that.

4 comments:

carol morgan carmichael said...

Love the graphic feel to this. Have fun!

Fay Terry said...

What a great painting and I love the shadow!

s thompson said...

This is just so simple and colorful. I love it!

nigelfletcher said...

Well this delightful cockerel drew my attention and encouraged me to visit your blog, which I love. I too was an illustrator but now a painter. I'm off to your website now and will look forward to seeing more of your lovely paintings