Monday, July 21, 2014

Art trip to North Haven Island


SOLD
I had the good fortune to be invited to stay in an old farmhouse that's being renovated on North Haven Island in Maine for part of this past week. I ended up doing a fair amount of drawing, these sketches are done on Strathmore Toned Gray sketchbook, 5.5" x 8.5". I used pencil and white gouache on some of them, then decided to try just using ink. (I think I like the pencil/gouache better.)

My artist friends and I agreed that the place had a kind of Wyeth vibe to it, particularly with the views of the fields and barns out the windows.

SOLD
Reading by the window.

Still lives by the window were appealing. (We were never without a few bottles of wine.)

An old barn next to the house. 

I tried doing a painting of this. I might post it soon, after a few more dabs.

Wicker with a view.







3 comments:

dorothy lorenze said...

Kathy, these sketches are great! You really captured the peace and character of the place (it seems to me) but I could be projecting because I had a similar Maine trip recently. Maybe you were there!

Darrell Anderson said...

Despite how jealous I am that you have been to Maine....I really like your drawings. I'll likely link to this post in one of my future ones. Keep it up!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

superb sketches. I'm loving the gray paper. One value is already there. So Cool.