Monday, February 9, 2009

Tulips

Oil on canvas, 5' x 5"
I bought these tulips the end of last week and struggled to find a great composition, without any luck. I finally did this little one, but I'm hoping the flowers will last just a little bit longer so maybe I can do something better.


Crude but effective- this is the holder I made to work on little paintings. It's just a piece of masonite with a 1" x 3" cut to fit and nailed to the bottom, to serve as a ledge. A bull clip holds a piece of a shingle to the top and is easily moved. (Shingles are very thin at one end, so the clip can hold it.) The whole thing is easy to pick up and move to a place with good light for photographing. I know- it's really ugly- but it was cheap and works perfectly.

3 comments:

Trevor Lingard said...

Hello Kathy
A lovely painting with bold but very selective strokes. Light tones against dark tones really make the composition sparkle.
Lovely work
Regards

Jala Pfaff said...

Really nice painting with great abstract qualities.

And thanks for showing what you do to hold little paintings--I'm still constantly trying to figure that out myself.

Diane Hoeptner said...

Ah! Brilliant holder gizmo! Thanks much for sharing. I'm totally gonna copy that. (: Great blog, I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful paintings.