Sunday, May 15, 2011

Lilacs at Smith Castle-sold


Oil on board, 8" x 8"
Ann and I went painting on Friday in Wickford, first at the town dock, which we eventually left due partly to the fact that a school bus full of kids pulled up (it's field trip time).


We then went to Smith Castle, which isn't a castle, it's an old farmhouse, but it's on the National Register of Historic Places and is open for tours. I was happy with this little painting, a backlit view of the house with lilacs in bloom and that lime green reflected up into the shadows.

The same bus full of kids was scheduled to show up there, which in a way turned out to be a good thing, because there were several docents on hand dressed in their period outfits (don't say costumes!) and we ended up chatting with them and taking a few pictures.

4 comments:

Virginia Floyd said...

What I lovely painting. I love the light and the fresh spring greens. The green reflected light on the house is wonderful.

Victor Errington said...

Lovely painting kathy. Also your prevous still life is amazing. Although I prefer more impressionistic paintings, this still life one I had`to comment because it is amazingly realistic but with lovely colour. All the best Kathy.
Vic.

Kathy Hodge said...

Very nice handling of the lilacs. I can almost smell them!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

this is beautiful. I love the back lighting which makes the painting.