Friday, August 17, 2012

Yellow house at sunset- sold

Oil on panel, 8" x 10"
I was painting on the bike path one evening and had packed up to go home. I was stopped dead in my tracks by the sight of this house. I looked at it for a few seconds and thought, should I or shouldn't I, because I knew the light would only last a couple of minutes. I decided to go for it, dropped my backpack on the ground, set up my painting gear (love that quick release tripod and pochade box), took a quick photo for reference, and practically threw paint at the panel.

I ended up reworking the house somewhat from the photo, mostly to correct architectural details. I'm pretty happy with it, maybe I'll try a larger version.

9 comments:

William R. Moore said...

Kathy,
You really captured that last light of evening and have painted a wonderful painting. Thanks for stopping to paint and sharing.

"I'm pretty happy with it, maybe I'll try a larger version."

So, what size is this painting?

Mary Rochelle said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Kathy!!!

Heather said...

The light in this painting is awesome! I love the bright yellows. I thin you made the right choice by stopping - great painting!

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Quite brilliant and I adore the little red window.

Karen Werner said...

Omg I love this. You nailed that shadow. Amazing work!

Kathy Weber said...

I loved that window too! It was like the cherry on top of the sundae.

Nancy Colella said...

This just pops! Great color and shadows! I especially like the two yellow spots on the left. They bring it all together.

patricia walsh said...

absolutely awesome Kathy!

Dan said...

I love the spontaneity in this piece. I particularly like the handling of the upper left foliage... subtle and really matches the lighting!