Thursday, July 26, 2012

Portrait Class

I've been enjoying teaching my Limited Color Portrait class this summer at the South County Art Association. I start each class with a short demo, about 20 minutes. Since most of the students have very limited portrait experience, they find this really helpful.

My goal is to show, fairly quickly, how to get started. I want them to see the big light and dark shapes, and to understand the structure, while still leaving most of the class time to do their own painting. I'm finding that painting demos is an art in itself.

I'll be teaching this again in the fall at the Portsmouth Art Guild (once a week for 5 weeks), and have tentatively scheduled a one day workshop at Jerry's ASW in Providence in October. Stay tuned for the date if you're interested.

1 comment:

Page Pearson Railsback said...

as always..like your painterly style